at The O2
Saving energy. Recycling. Reducing waste. Travel planning. Being part of the local community. The O2 hosts over eight million visitors a year. And we’re committed to making our environment the best it can be.
The O2 in the Community
We are committed to playing our part in supporting the local and wider community. Over the last ten years The O2’s parent company, AEG, has given over £65 million of financial and in-kind support to charitable, community and civic programmes. And tens of millions more has been raised at sister venues and companies.
Who we support
We focus our support on groups who champion music and sport, as well as local groups that improve young people’s chances of success. These organisations are important to us because they represent our content and core values.
This year, our official charities are: The Royal Marsden Cancer Charity, Charlton Athletic Community Trust (CACT) and Greenwich Starting Blocks. Unfortunately, we can’t accept uninvited proposals for support.
How do we help charities and community-based organisations?
- Donating funds and in-kind support.
- Helping with fundraising and developing resources to achieve goals.
- Increasing awareness and exposure.
Staff in the Community
We arrange and promote community volunteer opportunities for staff throughout the company by organising occasions that bring everyone together. Hundreds of employees have taken part in marathons, bake sales, away days and more.
The O2 and the Environment
We take special care to reduce our environmental impact as much as possible. We concentrate on energy efficiency, recycling, waste minimisation and transport planning.
- Created a back-of-house recycling program for glass, plastic, metal, cardboard, construction materials, kitchen grease, e-waste, and more.
- Installed an on-site wormery to compost food waste and generate fertilizer.
- Encouraged alternative transportation to the venue via signage at the arena, our website, and social media. Based on our last survey, 77% of visitors arrive via alternative transportation.
- Installed electric vehicle charging stations in our parking area.
- Installed bike racks around the campus.
- Launched an employee green team dedicated to further reducing The O2’s environmental impact.
- Began purchasing EU Ecolabel-certified toilet paper and paper towels.
Implemented a green cleaning program, replacing traditional cleaning chemicals with environmentally-friendly alternatives.
The O2 is proud to participate in AEG 1EARTH, AEG’s corporate environmental sustainability program. Through AEG 1EARTH, we:
- Exchange environmental best practices with other venues
- Track our environmental performance on a monthly basis, measuring energy consumption, water usage, and waste diversion
- Contribute to AEG’s progress towards its 2020 Environmental Goals
To learn more about AEG’s sustainability efforts and progress towards its 2020 Environmental Goals, please visit the AEG 1EARTH website and read AEG’s 2014 Sustainability Report.
If you have additional questions, please email [email protected] for more details.